AI Foundations for Product Innovation Graduate Certificate
A 4-course online program in AI and Machine Learning designed for working professionals
Those who have knowledge of AI and machine learning have an advantage. Earn this Duke standalone, credit-bearing, non-degree offering in 15 months by completing:
- A Python and data science math pre-program boot camp
- Four (4) technical core courses in AI and machine learning
Learn online and pay tuition per course, without the commitment of a traditional degree program.
Extensive programming experience is not required, but the following are recommended:
- An undergraduate degree in science or engineering (or equivalent technical work experience);
- A minimum of one (1) semester of programming (any language);
- Two (2) semesters of calculus
Students who enroll and complete the certificate will have the option to subsequently apply for the online Duke AI Master of Engineering degree (details below).
Join our mailing list to receive updates!
Certificate courses are taught by the same faculty who teach the AI Master of Engineering degree program.
|Departmental Technical Elective
Students who complete the certificate earn credits they can apply toward the online Duke AI Master of Engineering degree.
Admissions Policies and Practices
This certificate program is open to all qualified applicants worldwide. Applications are accepted for the certificate program for the fall semester only, and participants are expected to be working full-time while completing the Certificate program.
An application for the AI Foundations for Product Innovation graduate certificate program requires the following:
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering or science from an accredited institution (transcripts required, including an estimated GPA and a grade scale)
- Statement of purpose
- Two recommendations
- English Language Testing (TOEFL or IELTS): official results required—international applicants only
- Video introduction
This is a standalone certificate program and does not qualify international students for US visa sponsorship.
For students joining the certificate program in the 2023-24 academic year, a limited number of merit-based scholarships are available.
All applicants will be automatically considered for the available scholarships based on their application materials.
The amounts shown below include costs for the entire program, assuming normal time to completion. There may be additional costs for living expenses. Note that this information is subject to change:
|$8,043 per 3-credit class, and a total of $32,172 for the certificate **
** Duke may change its tuition for each academic year. This estimate is based on the 2023-24 academic year tuition charges.
Applying the Certificate to the Master of Engineering
Students who enroll and successfully complete the certificate requirements will have the option to subsequently apply for the online Duke AI for Product Innovation Master of Engineering within four years, and use their certificate courses (12.0 course credits) toward the degree (30.0 course credits), as long as they earn a grade of B or better in each class.
Certificate holders who apply to the online Duke AI for Product Innovation Master of Engineering program will additionally be required to provide GRE scores (if required at time of application). GRE scores are optional for the 2023-24 admissions cycle.
Applicants who are accepted will then need to complete the remaining requirements for the degree: typically, four electives, two Master of Engineering management core courses, and the required on-campus residencies in Durham, NC.
This is not an offer of preferential admission, and there is no guarantee of admission. See our academic policy bulletin for the most current details.
Not Eligible for VA Benefits or Federal Student Aid
This standalone online certificate program is not yet eligible for VA benefits or federal student aid. Please check back for updates.
Important Note for International Applicants
Please Note: This standalone online certificate program does NOT qualify students for U.S. visa sponsorship.
Gainful Employment Disclosures*
- Typically 15 months (1 course per semester, including summer)
- Information about average student debt, monthly debt expense and debt interest rate have been withheld since fewer than 10 students have completed this program
Job Placement Rates
- We are not currently required to calculate a job placement rate for program completers
- Program graduates are employed in the following fields:
- Information Technology
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics
- The program does not meet any licensing requirements
- Additional Information: Date Created 3/15/2021
* These disclosures are required by the U.S. Department of Education
Receive information about this Duke Engineering graduate certificate program and related online recruitment events: