Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Lawrence Carin earned the BS, MS, and PhD degrees in electrical engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park, in 1985, 1986, and 1989, respectively. In 1989 he joined the Electrical Engineering Department at Polytechnic University (Brooklyn) as an Assistant Professor, and became an Associate Professor there in 1994. In September 1995 he joined the Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) Department at Duke University, where he is now a Professor. He was ECE Department Chair from 2011-2014, the Vice Provost for Research from 2014-2019, and since 2019 he has served as Duke's Vice President for Research. From 2003-2014 he held the William H. Younger Distinguished Professorship, and since 2018 he has held the James L. Meriam Distinguished Professorship. Dr. Carin's research focuses on machine learning (ML), artificial intelligence (AI) and applied statistics. He publishes widely in the main ML/AI conferences, and he has also engaged in translation of research to practice. He was co-founder of the small business Signal Innovations Group, which was acquired by BAE Systems in 2014, and in 2017 he co-founded the company Infinia ML. He is an IEEE Fellow.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Computer Science
- Member of the Duke Clinical Research Institute
- Office Location: 119 Allen Building, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 681-6436
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Maryland, College Park, 1989
- M.Sc.Eng. University of Maryland, College Park, 1986
- B.S.E. University of Maryland, College Park, 1985
Applied statistics and machine learning
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2001
- ECE 392: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
- POE 505: Winter Breakaway
In the News
- At Duke, the Future of Pathology Lies in AI (Jan 20, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Research Week Features Hot Topics and New Tools (Jan 15, 2021)
- Duke Launches Center to Bring Computational Thinking to All Students (Oct 12, 2020)
- Duke Researchers To Begin Slowly Returning to Their Labs, With Masks (May 7, 2020)
- Carin Urges Faculty to Take Ownership of Research Conduct (Oct 24, 2019)
- Carin Named New Vice President for Research with University-Wide Responsibilities (Aug 7, 2019)
- Larry Carin Reappointed to New Term as Vice Provost for Research (Oct 2, 2018)
- +DataScience Wants to Put the Power of Machine Learning in Everyone’s Hands (Sep 28, 2018)
- Duke Teaming Up With Microsoft In Durham and In The Cloud (Jul 9, 2018)
- Webs of Minds and Ideas Bind Dukes Campus (Mar 14, 2017)
- Duke to discuss partnership with Indian institute of Technology (Jan 6, 2016 | Triangle Business Journal)
- Duke Board Updated on Academic, Financial Issues at Fall Meeting (Oct 2, 2015)
- Duke, RTI team for projects, fund two with $100,000 each (Mar 4, 2015 | WRAL Tech Wire)
- Duke names new vice provost for research (May 23, 2014 | Durham Herald-Sun)
- Carin Named Vice Provost for Research (May 20, 2014)
- Mariottoni, EB; Datta, S; Shigueoka, LS; Jammal, AA; Tavares, IM; Henao, R; Carin, L; Medeiros, FA, Deep Learning-Assisted Detection of Glaucoma Progression in Spectral-Domain OCT., Ophthalmology. Glaucoma, vol 6 no. 3 (2023), pp. 228-238 [10.1016/j.ogla.2022.11.004] [abs].
- Chapfuwa, P; Tao, C; Li, C; Khan, I; Chandross, KJ; Pencina, MJ; Carin, L; Henao, R, Calibration and Uncertainty in Neural Time-to-Event Modeling., Ieee Trans Neural Netw Learn Syst, vol 34 no. 4 (2023), pp. 1666-1680 [10.1109/TNNLS.2020.3029631] [abs].
- Li, Z; Cong, Y; Chen, X; Qi, J; Sun, J; Yan, T; Yang, H; Liu, J; Lu, E; Wang, L; Li, J; Hu, H; Zhang, C; Yang, Q; Yao, J; Yao, P; Jiang, Q; Liu, W; Song, J; Carin, L; Chen, Y; Zhao, S; Gao, X, Vision transformer-based weakly supervised histopathological image analysis of primary brain tumors, Iscience, vol 26 no. 1 (2023) [10.1016/j.isci.2022.105872] [abs].
- Verma, VK; Mehta, N; Si, S; Henao, R; Carin, L, Pushing the Efficiency Limit Using Structured Sparse Convolutions, Proceedings 2023 Ieee Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision, Wacv 2023 (2023), pp. 6492-6502 [10.1109/WACV56688.2023.00644] [abs].
- Xu, H; Liu, J; Luo, D; Carin, L, Representing Graphs via Gromov-Wasserstein Factorization., Ieee Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol 45 no. 1 (2023), pp. 999-1016 [10.1109/tpami.2022.3153126] [abs].